Located AtStaffordshire Record Office
LevelCollection
Alt Ref NoD5112, 3485, 6957, 7721, 7773
TitleRecords of HM Prison, Stafford (formerly known as Stafford Gaol)
DescriptionSee Victoria County History for Staffordshire volume VI for a history of the prison and earlier gaol institutions. As a general rule, previous institutions were incorporated into the county gaol system, even though they may at some stage have been managed by Stafford Borough. Howard assessed the gaol provision in Stafford and his report (1777) was a starting point for a new building programme from 1786, the new building in Foregate being opened in 1793. A volume of accounts for this building work 1788-1792 is held at the William Salt Library (M605).

Stafford Prison was handed over to the Military Authorities in January 1916 for use as a Detention Barrack, and remained in military hands until the start of the Second World War.
AccessNoteAccess Restricted
Access ConditionsSome of the records in this collection contain sensitive personal information. Access to these records is therefore restricted under Section 40 of the Freedom of Information Act, 2000.
Please contact Staffordshire Record Office for further information.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021