Located AtStaffordshire Record Office
LevelCollection
Alt Ref NoD(W)510, D4277 and D6380
TitleRecords of Horninglow, St. John the Divine (Church of England)
Administrative HistoryFormed 1867 from part of Burton, Christ Church EP
ArrangementThis collection is arranged in accordance with the Archive Service's standard Anglican Parish Catalogue Scheme.
Date1695-2000
DescriptionThis is an interesting collection of parish records because it contains some particularly early documents that record Overseers' of the Poor and Surveyors of the Highways' work and also events in the wider community, including local farming.
Incumbent and Benefice : there are baptism registers, 1868-1943; marriage registers, 1867-2000 and burial registers, 1866-1953. This section also contains documents relating to institutions and licences, services, glebe, the parsonage house and parish status and boundaries.
Parish Administration - Ecclesiastical : there is a varied series of churchwardens' records relating to church property and buildings and Horninglow graveyard, including correspondence with Imperial War Graves Commission and schedule of war graves in Horninglow graveyard, 1955.
Parish Administration - Civil : this is a very interesting section of records which contains an early Overseers' of the Poor account book, 1757-1798 and a notebook of Overseers of Poor and Surveyors of the Highways, 1695-c1795, which contains rough Overseers' accounts to c1750 and then is a rough note book of parish affairs.
Miscellaneous : this section contains two early farming notebooks, 1717-c1750, which give a lot of information about the prices of wheat.

Note: Accession D6380 is uncatalogued apart from the marriage registers. Other items include confirmations 1964-1989, services 1981-1999, PCC minutes 1976-1997, minutes of annual parish meetings 1963-1969, 1983-1994, Finance Committee minutes 1958-1998, parish magazines 1947-2000 (5.5 boxes). Please ask for further information.
Extent31 volumes, 3.5 boxes
CopyrightAny questions concerning the publication of images of documents in this collection should be directed to the County Archivist, Staffordshire Record Office, Eastgate Street, Stafford ST16 2 LZ.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022