Located AtStaffordshire Record Office
LevelCollection
Alt Ref NoLD15/8; LD88; LD325; LD377; LD412; LD519; LD545; LD557; LD596, D7646, D7646
TitleRecords of the Hospital of St John the Baptist, Lichfield (also known as St John's Hospital) and its Chapel
Administrative HistoryAccording to tradition, the Hospital of St John the Baptist without the Bars of Lichfield was founded by Bishop Roger de Clinton (1129-148). In November 1495, Bishop William Smith re-endowed and refounded it as a charitable and educational institution with two responsibilities: the maintenance and accommodation of almsmen and the provision of a grammar school. The establishment was to consist of a master, a chaplain, a schoolmaster and an usher. Although the school ceased to function after the Reformation, the Hospital's charitable role continued, and Bishop Smith's refoundation statutes remained the basis of its constitution until the implementation of a 1908 Charity Commissioners' scheme in 1925.
Date1555-2016
DescriptionRecords relating to the general administration of the Hospital, to its buildings and to its leasehold estates in and around Lichfield and at Burton in Cheshire.
The Chapel is recognised by the Diocese of Lichfield and is licensed for marriages.
Additional material is not yet catalogued, comprising 19th-20th century deeds (LD545, LD557, LD596). Please ask for further information.
Access ConditionsMinimum of two working daysÂ’ advance notice is required for production of items with L references
Related MaterialFor a full account of the Hospital's history, see the Victoria County History of Staffordshire, III, pp279-289.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019