Located AtStaffordshire Record Office
LevelCollection
Alt Ref NoD831, 3956, D4663
TitleRecords of the Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company Limited, Smethwick
Administrative HistoryAt the time of deposit of the original collection D831 in 1965, the owner was First National Estates Ltd of Smethwick, a subsidiary of First National Finance Corporation Ltd. This was the new name given to the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. after the latter had acquired a group of banking and finance companies in 1963 [information supplied by the company in 1990.]
Date19th cent-20th cent
DescriptionThe company was founded in 1854 under the name the Birmingham Wagon Company. This was changed in 1878 to the Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company.
In addition to the surviving business records of the company, the collection includes a considerable amount of correspondence and other papers of Mr. H. J. S. Moyses the company's Managing Director, reflecting his involvement with the B.S.A. group of companies chaired in the 1950s by Sir Bernard Docker. B.R.C.W. was not part of B.S.A. group and the presence of these papers in the collection results purely from Mr. Moyses' involvement with both.
The collection in general is far from comprehensive.
CopyrightAny questions concerning the publication of images of documents in this collection should be directed to the County Archivist, Staffordshire Record Office, Eastgate Street, Stafford ST16 2 LZ.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020