Archive Collections Search
- This search option enables you to locate the catalogues of collections of records deposited by different types of organisation, such as Church of England churches, charities and businesses, and then browse through them.
- Important : for a successful search you must select a category of organisation by clicking on the word CollectionType and choosing from the list.
- To make your search more specific type a keyword into the Title box, such as the name of a place, then click on the Search button to the right of the search form.
- Supplementary searches : You can make supplementary searches, based upon the hitlist of search results that you obtain from your initial search. You can choose to narrow your hitlist of search results using new search text, widen it, or exclude entries. These options appear only when you return to the Collections Search page by clicking on Collections Search again. This is particularly useful if your initial search produces a large hitlist of search results.
- Wildcard searches : If you want to find records containing words with the same stem or the same ending, use the asterisk symbol as a 'wildcard'. Example 1, a search for manor* will find records containing the words manor and manorial. Example 2, a search for *warden will find records containing the word warden, churchwarden or chapelwarden.
- Complex searches : are available in the Options section below the main set of search fields. To select one of these options click on the relevant button and enter the text you are looking for.
- Combine words in fields : phrase : click on the button marked ‘Phrase’ and enter a phrase to find records containing multiple search terms in a field in a given order (e.g. Alton Parish Council). Please note that this is the default setting.
- Combine words in fields : and: click on the button marked ‘and’, and enter more than one search term, to find records containing both terms in the same field.
- Combine words in fields : or : click on the button marked ‘or’, and enter more than one search term, to find records containing either one term or the other in the same field.
- Combine fields : and : click on the button marked ‘and’, and enter search terms in more than one field, to find records containing both one term in one field and the other term in another field. Please note that this is the default setting.
- Combine fields : or : click on the button marked ‘or’, and enter search terms in more than one field, to find records containing either one term in one field or the other term in another field.